Kigali, 9 August 2015
Five out of the eight injured Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) peacekeepers who sustained injuries in Bangui on Saturday have been evacuated to Uganda for further treatment on August 9.
"Five out of the eight injured peacekeepers were today evacuated to Nakasero Hospital, in Kampala, Uganda, a UN Level three Hospital for further treatment. Three other soldiers who did not incur serious injuries continue to receive medical treatment at the MINUSCA Level two Hospital in Bangui", said Brigadier General Joseph Nzabamwita, Defence and Military Spokesperson.
The peacekeepers were injured during the unfortunate incident yesterday in Bangui where one of the RDF soldiers serving in the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) shot dead four RDF soldiers and injured eight others.
The RDF engaged the assailant soldier, killing him and saving the lives of other RDF peacekeepers.
"It is the first such incident ever in our forces", said Brigadier General Joseph Nzabamwita.
Investigations so far point toward terrorism to be the motive behind the deplorable act. More details will be communicated as investigations continue.
Defence and Military Spokesman