Brig Gen Charles KARAMBA was appointed Air Force Chief of Staff on 28 October 2015.
The Air Force Chief of Staff is responsible to the Chief of Defence Staff in all matters concerning Command, Control and Management of the Air Force Service.
He has served in several command and staff responsibilities both at Junior and Senior Officer Level. Before his appointment as AFCOS, he was the Commandant of RDFCSC.
His other postings include, Comd 511 Bde, I Div Eastern Province, Comd 301 Bde, 3 Div Western Province and the Corporate Head of RDF Research and Development. Regarding service out of the country, he served as Defense Attaché in Ethiopia and Eritrea as well as a senior UN military officer at a post of Deputy Chief Of Staff, UNMISS, Republic of South Sudan.
Formal and military qualifications:
• Bachelor of Science with honors, Makerere University Kampala.
• MA in International Affairs Legon Center for International Affairs (LECIA), University of Ghana, Accra.
• Master of Science in National Security Strategy from US National Defense University/National War College.
• Senior Command and Staff Course - Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College (GAFCSC)—PSC
• Diploma International Fellows Program US National Defense University/National War College)
• He is a fellow of US National War College
• Certificate in International Peace Support Operations
(IPSO), Kofi Anan International Peace Keeping Centre (KAIPKC).
• Certificate in Internal Crisis Management, Cranfield University, UK.
• Certificate in Professional Force Development (United States Defense Institute of International Legal Studies).
• Certificate in Civil Military Strategic Internal Development (CMSID), US Air Force Special Operations School, Hurbertfield, Florida.
Other carrier highlights:
• Member of Five Man Team of officers representing RPA on “Groupe d’Observateurs Militaires Neutres” (GOMN) 1991.
• He participated in the RPA liberation struggle and the last appointment was Head of intelligence in the 3rd Battalion stationed in CND (Parliament) building during the final days of Campaign Against Genocide.
• Led an RDF team for a recce mission to Darfur to assess and report to government on whether to accept the African Union (AU) invitation to Rwanda to deploy RDF peacekeepers in Darfur.
• Led an RDF Team for recce mission to Khartoum to assess and report to government on whether to accept the UN invitation to government of Rwanda to deploy RDF peacekeepers in UNMIS, Khartoum.
• Negotiated the first Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in New York UN HQs, between Rwanda government and the United Nations, regarding deployment of RDF Peacekeeping mission in UNMIS.
Brig Gen Charles Karamba is a recipient of the National Liberation Medal, Campaign against Genocide Medal, Command Service Medal, Combat Action Medal, Foreign Campaign Medal, Presidential Inauguration Medal, Peace Support Operations Medal and Community Service Ribbons among others.
Brigadier General KARAMBA is married with three children.