The RDF, especially the Rwanda Air Force has been involved in several medical/casualty evacuation operations. These include:
• The Kabale accident of 21 Sept 2003 involving a Ugandan Passenger Bus in which 30 persons died;
• Emergency evacuation of the Governor of the then Kibuye Province;
• Medical evacuation of university students and other civilians from Butare university hospital;
• Emergency evacuation of about 17 lying casualties resulting from the Rusizi accident involving three ONATRACOM buses;
• Medical/Casualty evacuation of Rayon Sports and APR Foot Ball Clubs in separate life threatening accidents;
• Emergency evacuation of earthquake victims from Rusizi to different referral hospitals;
In each cases, the RDF uses its unique capabilities (mainly helicopters) to save life.